Thursday, July 16, 2015

JUST BE U....NIQUE!!!


Growing up in the society of today is very daunting, there is all this pressure to slide right in and be perfect. However nobody is perfect and not a single one of us looks or acts the same, I am unique holds a certain truth to it. I had experienced all sorts of peer pressure growing up, to put it simply I was different than all the other children my age, certain things had to be done differently for me, no I didn't get special treatment. Not only do children have to find the right clique to fit into but they are some how supposed to know who they are in the process. I will admit right now, at twenty-four years old, i'm still figuring out who I am. Which only proves the point that age ten, I had absolutely no idea who I was or what I was going to be or where I fit in.

When I was about fifteen or sixteen I stumbled upon something I had no idea was going to change my life forever. That thing that I stumbled upon was dance, I started watching every dance movie I could find, I became obsessed. I was mimicking everything the dancers in the movies were doing. I realized that dance was taking over my life. I had learned to feel again, I had learned to deal with my problems instead of bottling them up and letting the volcano of emotions explode on the first poor unfortunate soul that I had come into contact with.  

Dance taught me so many things, it taught me that, I was never alone. There are so many people out in the world going through the same that I was going through. Suddenly the feeling of loneliness had evaporated, it was as if every time I danced, I felt closer and closer to those just like me. I know it may sound silly, but dance taught me to breathe, dance taught me to listen to focus and just relax.

I will be the first one to say that dance may not be the one thing that "saves" everyone. Everyone has that one thing that is theirs, that one thing that kind of helps them grow up and evolve. That one certain activity that teaches them about themselves. 

The pressure that this world puts on us to be perfect doesn't need to break us or bend us in ways we don't want too. There are many different outlets in which we as humans can find our saving grace, our place where as humans can find out who we truly are without the pressure from the outside world. For me that was my basement, dancing; the person next to me could be in the art studio painting. The guy on the other side of the room, his saving grace could be restoring old cars, it's not the activity that saves us, its ourselves. 

Don't let the world bend or break you down, to where you no longer know who you are. 
JUST BE YOU!!

No comments:

Post a Comment